The kids class are a fun, dynamic and exciting class, teaching traditional karate with a focus on “threat level orientated” self-defence.
Core values such as courtesy, respect, honesty, perseverance, and discipline are some of the values studied in our “Ten-fold path to black belt”. Goal setting & positive visualization, along with techniques that calm and focus the mind, are an integral component of what students learn.
Children start from 7 years of age, this is the age that children can really understand the responsibility that goes hand in hand with learning martial arts to defend one’s self. This is an important aspect to consider, as younger children cannot adequately comprehend this responsibility or the damage that the techniques they learn can do to another person.
At Figtree Kan Zen Ryu Dojo, every technique taught, right from the very first class, is entrenched with scenario-based self-defence competencies. This is taught initially at low-level threat responses, (escaping the situation without hurting the other person), & increases gradually with the skill, maturity and comprehension of the student.
Kids classes are held from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays, during school terms.
Black Belt Club
The Kan Zen Ryu Karate Black Belt Club is a program developed for students who are serious about their martial arts studies. Black belt club members will have the opportunity to study advanced martial arts concepts in far more depth than is possible in the regular classes. Students who have decided to commit themselves to the black belt club must be a member of the advanced class and attending lessons twice a week and have made a commitment to training towards achieving their black belt.
In Kan Zen Ryu Karate, the coveted Black Belt is not simply a test you pass. You become a black belt long before you pass any test, through many years of dedicated practice, developing and fostering the correct attitude, in karate and in life.
- It is how you carry yourself as a person and the values you hold.
- It is having the courage and conviction to uphold your beliefs & values no matter the circumstance.
- It is picking yourself up each time you fall, & developing an indomitable spirit.
- It is looking inside and having the courage to change and be the best version of you, each & every day.
- It is about leadership and helping others to be the best they can be.
- It is about understanding that only through hard work, dedication and sacrifice comes true change.
- It is about being humble and respectful regardless of your position.
Being a member of the Kan Zen Ryu Black Belt Club is committing to these values and being dedicated to your training!